After every trip we'd suggest emptying your pack, tipping it upside down to rid any dust inside, and getting any dirt off the outside of the pack. If it is muddy, then follow the steps of a bigger clean below before storing the pack.
All packs should be stored in a cool, dry environment. Better in a wardrobe than in the cellar.
TOP TIP: Don’t forget that rain covers are a great way of protecting your pack, not only from rain but also from mud and dirt, scuffs from rocks and general wear and tear.
How to do a full clean
Before you start, check your pack for any damage. If there are any holes or catches, it would be worth contacting our Repairs Team first.
Helpful cleaning kit to have
- Soft Brush - shoe brush would do, but make sure there’s no polish on it!
- Technical Soap such as Nikwax Tech Wash. Do not use any bleaches or standard detergent.
- Clean sponge
- Small bucket or bowl filled with cold water and your soap of choice
7 easy steps to clean your pack
- Empty all the pockets and inside (but, you've done this already, haven't you?) and loosen any straps.
- Vacuum inside the pack getting into any nooks and crannies. Use the lowest/gentlest setting.
- Wet the pack all over with the sponge. It is important to wet any dried mud before brushing. Mud sticks to the fabric, peeling it off can seriously damage the fabric.
- Gently sponge the shoulder harness and hip belt to encourage any sweat and oils to come out. Leave soapy for a short while before rinsing.
- Gently scrub off, with the sponge, any stubborn marks on the outer fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean, cold water.
- Hang to dry. Out of direct sunlight, away from any radiators (or other heat sources).
- Try not to remove any internal frames, unless these are advertised as removable.
- Do not machine wash, tumble dry or dry clean any of our products.
- Avoid using solvents during the cleaning process.
Reproofing your pack
Your pack has a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating on the outer fabric. Over time this wears down. To replenish this, once you've washed your pack, whilst the fabric is still damp, use a Spray-on reproofer such as Nikwax TX Direct and follow the instructions on the bottle.