- We would advise you to run your washing machine without detergent and softeners for one cycle before washing your waterproof garments to ensure the machine is completely clean, as well as removing any residue left in the washing machine tray.
- Ensure all zips, hook and loop fastenings are closed,
- Hand or machine wash your garment using non-biological liquid detergent, pure soap or a technical cleaner such as Nikwax Tech Wash on a gentle 30ºC cycle,
- Avoid biological detergent and fabric softeners. Do not dry clean or iron the garment,
- Unless stated on the product label, we would also recommend you tumble dry your garment on a low setting to help maintain the DWR treatment.
Your waterproof garment contains a durable water repellent finish (DWR) on the exterior of the fabric that serves as the first barrier to penetration of the fabric by external water. This DWR finish degrades over time and will occasionally need to be replenished. Even though the waterproof membrane is still keeping the water from passing through the fabric, performance will be increased if you maintain the DWR finish with regular treatments.
Once the garment has been washed we recommend using a re-proofing agent such as Nikwax TX Direct to completely restore surface water-repellency. We recommend using a spray-on product rather than a wash-in one as this will have less impact on the item’s breathability.