Most of our softshell jackets and trousers have a Durable Water Repellent coating (DWR) that helps repel water when that unexpected shower comes over you. Regular washing helps maintain the DWR for longer lasting performance.
5 Steps to washing your softshell jacket:
- Preferably rinse your washing machine out before use. This clears any detergent and softeners left inside that might damage the fabrics and DWR coating.
- Close all the zips, pockets and hook & loop fastenings.
- Use an outdoor clothing specific technical cleaner for best results. Otherwise a non-biological liquid detergent or pure soap solution will do.
- Machine Wash on a gentle, cool setting. 30ºC is great for both your jacket and the environment.
- Tumble dry your garment on a low heat setting to help restore the loft and maintain the DWR treatment after washing.
- Use biological detergent and fabric softeners.
- Do not dry clean or iron the garment.
Need to reproof?
Over time, the DWR does wear down. When you notice the outer fabric is soaking up water, it's time to revitalize your jacket or trousers. We recommend a spray on reproofer such as Nikwax TX Direct.
- Wash your softshell, but don't yet dry it.
- Whilst still damp, hang up your jacket or trousers.
- Spray the outer fabric with the Nikwax proofer, following the bottle's instructions.
- Continue with the drying process. Tumble drying on a low heat setting for a short period of time.