Washing down-filled items is a long and time-consuming process so we would always recommend having your down item washed professionally. We offer an in-house Rab Wash Service if you would like us to clean the item for you. To find out more about the service, please click HERE.
If you have washed your down garment at home but all of the down has got clumped together or it looks like it has disappeared from the baffles - Don’t worry! This shouldn’t mean that your jacket is faulty or that you have damaged it permanently. This is generally just the result of an incorrectly dried garment and the down is most likely either clumped together or it has migrated into neighbouring baffles and needs to be moved back again.
It usually takes at least 2 hours to dry a down garment in a drier on a low heat setting (using a higher heat setting could damage the fabric or the down). Generally, the warmer or larger the jacket the longer it takes to dry.
In order to fix the clumping issue, please follow the below instructions:
- First, re-wash your jacket to get the down wet again on a gentle 30ºC cycle with a specialised agent (such as Nikwax Down Wash Direct or Granger's Down Wash)
- Gently squeeze out any excess water. It might be worthwhile spreading the down out at this point to aid in the drying process. You can pinch the baffles and manipulate the down this way.
- Place your item into a tumble drier on a low heat/gentle setting (this is very important as a high heat setting can damage or even melt the lightweight fabric)
- Every 20-30 mins remove the jacket and turn inside out to promote even drying. Also, give the jacket several firm pats to help manipulate the down and break up any clumped areas.
- Drying time depends on the jacket but it will take at least 2-3 hours for a Microlight. Even though the outer fabric may feel dry very soon after being put in the dryer, the down within takes a lot longer to dry.
Please drop us a message if you have any other questions regarding washing your Rab down jacket.